The Secrets of Good Newspaper and Magazine Advertising for YOUR
Business. PART 3.
So you have got a brilliant headline, masterful copy and a great
heart warming picture to lure the punters to your advert where they
will buy , buy , buy!
Great! Here are 12 tips & tricks and bits of info that will
make your magazine or newspaper advert really work (in no particular
1. Average response to a newspaper advert is within four
2. Give all ads a "key number" that people can
quote so you know which magazine or newspaper the advert was placed
in - (yes, good marketing requires that you monitor what you are
3. If you are the owner of a small business put a photo
of yourself in the ad - this ads credibility as people buy from
4. Always start with a great headline and write your ad
from there - this forces you to focus on your message.
5. Use lots of sub headings - you may make readers linger
longer if you use them.
6. If you are writing long copy check how they do it in
the Readers Digest (yes this cheesy magazine are masters at their
7. Please, please put a dotted border around a coupon to
encourage people to cut it out (add a pair of scissors picture if
8. Be specific about your product - if you are selling vitamin
C talk about your product's benefits not Vitamin C as a general
product otherwise your may be helping sell all Vitamin C products
from your competitors.
9. Include a "call to action" in every ad - call
us today - mail this coupon/come into our store NOW!! People need
telling and so it's the job of your headline and copy to do so.
10. Half page ads get the same response as full paid ads
most of the time - so don't waste your advertising dollar.
11. Try and get your advert positioned on page 3, 5, 7,
or 9 of any publication as far to the right as possible.
12. Write positively - use simple language - tell a great
yarn - show the benefits - get the customers.
If you don't want to write your great ads we can help - call us
quickly so you can get it started today.
Helpful copy writing aids:
Words That Sell by Richard Bayan
Any books by Al Ries/Jack Trout
All are still in print and available from Borders or www.Amazon.com